Saturday, March 28, 2009


Pillow bought at antique store...made from piece of old quilt...
Today Beth and I got a few things for the flower and herb beds and some fence to try to protect plants from the Sweet P's. The bigger girls never bothered the flower beds until PittyPat came along and taught them how nice it is to scooch down in the dirt to sleep - whether looking for warmth in the winter or coolness in the summer. Now all three are addicted. Relocating flowers planted there also provides an interesting diversion whilst working out just which spot would be best for napping.
This Holly Hobbie quilt is one my mother-in-law made for Beth when I was pregnant. Louise had one pregnant daughter and two pregnant daughters-in-law at the same time and made each baby one of these quilts. She let each mom-to-be make any fabric choices desired...and I picked fabric left over from my favorite maternity dress made by my mom to be the dress for the Holly Hobbie girl and let Louise choose the others. I did choose the basic color scheme of blue and yellow. Back in those days we didn't know if we were having a girl or a boy, but I knew I'd like blue and yellow regardless.
You can't really tell from this pitiful picture, but the solid yellow and yellow gingham are actually quite a nice and bright yellow. The hearts were appliqued in each corner, angling toward the central picture. And when you look at the quilt you never notice that the horse's back shadows through the dress!
She did a great job of using floss and cutting it for the mane to properly have strands. And my very first few quilting stitches are somewhere in this quilt...very, very bad ones.
I need to get some better pictures.

Weekend blessings: sunshine, rain, the greening and springing earth, time spent with loved ones

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the quilt!!! When fabric is used to hold onto another memory-- it makes it even better....enjoy your sunday.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love the pillow - I love old quilts and even when they're used to make something other than a quilt they are great things to hold on to. blessings, marlene