Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It's Ugly, but it was Fun


Not quite sure why I even scanned this, other than we had a new multi-function machine and needed (at least I thought so) to test the scanning part. You know, like when as a kid you had some change in your pocket that cried out to be spent. This little orphan block was handy. That's why it was scanned and was available to put here in the blog. So I did. I had been playing with doing "wonky" stuff with no pattern or clear plan after poking around in Gwen Marston's book Liberated Quiltmaking and used some scraps bought at the local quilt store back when they sold bags of pieces and strips left from the making of kits, etc. for $1. (No, those pieces aren't dirty - they're batiks!) Great stuff for experimenting with because you had no real investment! And I even got some cool Jan Mullen pieces and some reproduction fabric pieces that way, too. It was an educational process, too, because I learned that taking 1/4" out of two sides of a strip doesn't leave you much sometimes! And I didn't pay any attention to how it was placed on the scanner, I realize, from looking at it....it's sideways.....I had no intention of the center piece looking like an outhouse! (maybe only folks from the hills of Tennessee would even think about that . . . teehee)


And so we travel on.



Gratitudes of the morning:


  • the sight and sound of all the birds as they go about their morning routines


  • the mist over the pond


  • the sunshine on the trees of the hill opposite my window (it will be here shortly)


  • the fact that God gave us this gloriously beautiful place to live when He could have given us flat and grey and we wouldn't have known the difference

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'd love to email you - you'll have to send your address. I love your philosphy for quilting. The plus side of internet "journalling" is the encouragement you get from others to complete projects and to want more projects. The down-side is that sometimes I start feeling the pressures to "complete" rather than enjoy the process. I'm constantly refocus-ing. Great porch -- every home should have a porch. I have a front and backporch. I'm looking forward to your continued writing. Have fun.