Friday, November 16, 2007


The journey continues, whether it's blogged about or not . . . I've managed to read a few of your blogs even though I haven't posted anything. I've been having camera difficulties on top of lots of other hindrances, and what's a blog without a picture? One of the things I love so about other blogs is the fact that I get to see handiwork, families, houses - which helps you enjoy "knowing" that person. I love reading stories about good friends who have met courtesy of the internet, specifically blogland - even friends from different countries who actually get to meet in person! It's one of the positive ways that technology has impacted us all.

Sooo, what have I been doing since August? Well, Evan and I managed a trip to Gulf Shores for the first time in a LONG time - we dearly love going to the beach. We found the perfect place to stay and had a fabulous time. I took some pictures - which are unavailable at the moment, but I do plan to share a few of them. Mostly we goofed off and relaxed. It was absolutely wonderful.

One of "my" doctors (there are 8 in the office where I work) had emergency back surgery in September and we're still reeling under those ripples. The daughter of one of our nurses was tragically killed in an automobile accident in September, and we're also still feeling those effects. Oh - but let me tell you what we're doing for Rhonda (the mother) - who loves quilting. (In fact, when I went to the big quilt exposition in Nashville back in August, it was with her.) There are several beginning/wannabe quilters at the office, so instead of getting flowers for her that would soon be gone, we're working on a wallhanging quilt. We fixed squares backed with freezer paper and managed to get everyone, including docs, to write something for her - some wrote little personal notes, some wrote Scriptures, a couple did a bit of artwork. We got some 30's repro fabric, which is something she's recently fallen in love with, to frame each little block. I am going to embroider a Bible verse for the center. (we asked her other daughter for a favorite) We're at the stage right now of getting the blocks framed. We got them laid out earlier this week so I could try to calculate how big the center with the verse needed to be before I traced the words there and started stitching. That's my Thanksgiving holiday project for myself - to get that hand stitching done. Hopefully I'll be able to show you some pictures. We hope to get most of the folks to take at least a few quilting stitches - in-the-ditch type stuff, and since pretty much everyone can sew a running stitch, which is what it amounts to . . . to make it truly a joint project.

Aaaack - and now I'm about to be late for work.

This picture, by the way, is one I'd already transferred to the computer - taken in the York Castle Museum in York, England last year. I think it's from the late 1800's.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Awesome project... I'm tucking the idea away for someone some day...