Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just a quick post before heading out to water flowers. I got started with the Quilt Patis - and this is the kind of thing that could become addicting. I really wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but I do like it. She's right - 7 little backstitches and you have a perfect hexagon. So far my biggest problem is keeping the material from scooting around. You take a tiny bite of fabric with a pin in the center hole, but it doesn't keep the fabric from sliding a bit. I've pondered a drop of glue but haven't tried it yet. Don't want to make it hard to get the little pati out when it's time. Right now I'm just playing with scraps to see if I can even do it and have no clue as to how to finish the edges. I found a cute picture online of a way to put the "flowers" together that would make a cute table topper, so I think that's what I'll do. But those edges . . . hmmmm
Beth is doing incredibly well with her hand piecing and quilting - she just did 3" blocks and then a border, quilted with simple x's in the boxes and she's almost through with the binding. All by hand. I'll try to get a picture of it. We're thinking about doing one together for a winter project - probably pieced on the machine, but we want to hand quilt it on Evan's mother's old quilting frame. We thought we could set it up in the living room and work on it on the weekends and maybe have a puzzle going on another table for the guys to piddle with and for us to work on for little breaks.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Are you tacking (basting) your fabric to the hexagon papers before you start stitching them together? Or do you have some other system that doesn't use papers? I always keep a bagful of these ready to take out to stitch in the car or when visiting. They soon grow.

Knot Garden said...

I remember many years ago when I first started patchwork, piecing haxagons together by hand, but they were tacked quite firmly over papers which were then removed afterwards. I like hexagon patterns, you can do some lovely designs with them!

Knot Garden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello

I have done these many times and on my blog i have started a new one it was ment to be a cushion cover but has worked out to big, i have seen a few pictures of quilts done with this made into art work,
Thankyou for showing
Tracey